During the annual Seboka (Synod) meeting of the church in April 2013, a new constitution was adopted which changed the name of the denomination from the Lesotho Evangelical Church (Kereke ea Evangeli Lesotho), or LEC (KEL) for short, to the Lesotho Evangelical Church in Southern Africa (Kereke ea Evangeli Lesotho e Boroa ho Afrika), or LECSA for short.
The church has had one of its presbyteries located in South Africa for quite some time. Most of the churches in this presbytery are located in Gauteng (Sesotho for “place of gold”) Province which includes the greater Johannesburg area. Back in the 1920’s, when the LECSA was still the Church of Basutoland, ministry began among the Basotho miners working in Gauteng’s gold mines. As more miners and, in some cases, their families came to the area, churches were started which today make up the Gauteng Presbytery of the LECSA.
The new official name of the church led to the creation of the logo pictured. The logo shows Lesotho, in white, embedded within South Africa. The new logo was officially adopted by the LECSA Executive Committee in July.
The LECSA today is a result of the pioneering missionary efforts of the Paris Evangelical Missionary Society (PEMS). Three of their missionaries arrived in Lesotho in 1833 and established a church which became known as the Church in Basutoland. In 1964 the church marked its Thuthuho, or independence, from PEMS, and took on the name of the Lesotho Evangelical Church which is now the Lesotho Evangelical Church in Southern Africa. The LECSA will be marking the 50th anniversary of its Thuthuho in 2014 with special events.